Thursday, August 25, 2011

Slow running drain?

If your drain is running slow, or you notice a smell in there, try this. I was told about this by a plumber, over 25 years ago, when the my washing machine drain was stopped up.

Put a pan of water on to boil. In the process, take 1/2  cup of baking soda and sprinkle in the drain, follow immediately with 1 cup of white vinegar or lemon juice. It will begin to foam and bubble up. After all the bubbling has finished, pour the boiling water down the drain.
I do this in my garbage disposal once a month, and it keeps it smelling fresh. I also use this in my washer drain (with a funnel, of course) once a year.

1 comment:

  1. Another great drain cleaner...pour a cup of plain ol' table salt down the drain and follow with a kettle of boiling water. Works like a charm and no dangerous chemicals!

    ReplyDelete