Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Handicap accesible camping and fishing

I have tons of friends who, like me, love to hunt and fish. Among these friends, a few are disabled. Some are from PTSD, some have lost arms, legs, etc... I love all of them the same, because these are the friends who are ALWAYS there to help. I can sometimes come up with some, shall we say, random ideas. Not one of my friends have ever said 'NO'....ever! So, as my husband and I were fishing one day, enjoying the nice, peaceful area that we were in, my mind started wandering. This happens a lot, in fact. My poor husband! So, as my mind wandered, I found myself thinking "how in the world, would someone in a wheelchair or on crutches, get down here to his fishing hole?" It expanded from there. I thought about the deer leases, and the camps, and deer blinds.... As we returned home, and got all of our supplies put away, I started some research on Handicap accessible RVs.... WOW $$$$$$ I found one that was 14 years old, retro fitted with a ramp and wheel in shower for a whopping $32,000! I almost fainted. My mind started wandering again. I am no expert, and I am certainly not a certified contractor, but, I have a few great friends who fit these titles :) I posted a plea on my facebook for an older and used camper, that was solid on the outside, but could easily be demolished on the inside, to remodel. Have I said that I have great friends??? In no time at all, I had 3 campers! We are in the process of gutting the first one, and the others will only need ramps, and ac/heat :) We have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING donated so far! From the campers to tires to bedding! I also have a great group of volunteers (my friends!) to paint, patch, remove, replace, or whatever we need to do! Along with this, I have friends, who have friends in high places! We have businesses donating things, like mattresses, parts, service, and even some wanting to put on a benefit concert and dinner to get the money for supplies, gas, hunts, etc.... Wow! I am overwhelmed at the blessings :) I answered my phone yesterday, to a greeting from a woman local to here, that has done phenomenal things for local kids. She had some pointers, advice, and mostly, she thinks my idea is great also, and she is on board with it! So, we are off to a great start! Pics coming soon! I do have to give a special shout out to a special person, my husband! His exact words to me were: Honey, I think you are crazy taking on a project of this size with all of the other things you have going on, but I am behind you 100% and will help out by doing whatever you want me to do" Then, he rubbed his forehead, looked down for a minute, then shook it off...I think he surprised himself by what he had just signed up for...but, he has been great! Any idea I have, he lets me say them, and then he will, in a nice way, tell me how to end up doing it right. ahhhhh, I love that man!

No comments:

Post a Comment