Thursday, August 25, 2011

Meatloaf night!

At 7am yesterday morning, as the husband was going off to work, and the kids were heading down the road to catch the bus, they all requested meatloaf for dinner.
I am not sure if it is the 90 plus days of over 100 degree heat, the anticipation of fall, or if it is just pure hunger for a home cooked meal of nothing but comfort food, but this is a strange request. Usually, when I cook meatloaf, I hear the *gags* and *choking* sounds from my teens, and get the infamous 'eye roll' from the hubbs. This doesn't stop them from devouring all of the food, it is just a little dig at the idea of meatloaf night! As it turns out, I was late getting home from an appointment, so the meatloaf was not cooked for dinner. My family was a little sour about the whole thing. Apparently, they had been hungry for meatloaf all day, but Dad pulled out some ribs he had cooked and frozen a couple of months ago, and all was happy again!
Tonight, will be meatloaf night, with all the fixin's...mashed potatoes, corn and biscuits. Here is my recipie for meatloaf:

2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 can of rotel tomatos (with the liquid drained)
2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs (italian style is my favorite)
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 small can of tomato sauce
and just a hand full of each: diced onion, bell pepper, celery

I mix all of the dry ingredients with the meat, mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl together, and then mix the wet and dry. I put it all in the KitchenAid mixer and use the dough hook to mix it.
Then, just place it in the shape of a loaf in a shallow pan, or in a loaf pan if you have one, and bake it! 350 for  about an hour and  fifteen minutes,or an hour and a  half. the last 10 minutes, I add tomato paste or ketchup to the top.

I usually make 'real' mashed potatos, but in a pinch, I use Idahoan instant, and they are delicious as far as instant potatos go! Add a little butter to them, and no one but your mother in law would know different!

My secret to corn is: take 2 cans of corn (whole kernel) drain the water from only one of them. place the corn and the water from one can into a pan, add a couple of pats of butter, with salt and pepper, and let it cook to boiling, then lower the temp, and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes :)

and the biscuits you ask....??? well, it just depends on what I have on hand. Sometimes they are canned, sometimes they are made with Bisquick, and sometimes, it is just a slice of  white sandwich bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment